Update 1.11 Operation: Warlord Comes to Consoles!
December 8, 2021
Hello Console Friends,
We have plenty to share with you today, so thank you for joining us here in these release notes. We are really excited to be rolling this update (and hotfix) out today, and can’t wait to hear what you all think about it! This post is hefty so time to dive right in.
ABOUT THE CRASHES
The crashing issues that some of you on console have been experiencing has been a serious concern for all of us on the Insurgency: Sandstorm team. We believe this update will address most of them. Because most of these are related to memory, an almost uncountable number of variables impact if a crash will occur. As such, while many of these crash fixes are addressed with this update – lots of optimisation has gone into the game over the past two months – we expect to continue working on this throughout 2022 as well.
The crash reports sent in to us through to console directly and also through our support team are really helpful, thank you!
INTRODUCING OPERATION: WARLORD
Welcome to our first major content update for consoles! Operation: Warlord includes a whole bunch of new stuff. Read on, Macduff!
NEW MAP: GAP
Two worlds collide in Gap. A luxurious hotel and the neighbouring slums are a close-quarters battleground offering intense gameplay where any step could be your last. Tight alleyways, exposed rooftops, opulent hallways, and a gold-plated lobby are only a few of the spaces where confrontation will take place.
Gap supports the following game modes:
- Checkpoint Security
- Checkpoint Insurgents
- Push Security
- Push Insurgents
NEW GAME MODE: AMBUSH
We have added a new Versus Mode called Ambush, a single-elimination scenario that was originally introduced in Insurgency (2014). Escort the VIP to the objective as the extracting team (Security), or hunt down and eliminate them as the ambushing team (Insurgents). Check out the Ambush preview video!
This mode is available on the maps below:
- Power Plant
A new option to enable or disable VIP selection was added to the Settings Menu under “Allow VIP”. If you do not wish to be selected as the VIP then remember to uncheck this box!
Your first successful extraction in this game mode will grant you both of the new unlockable cosmetic sets: Sporty and Big Spender. Details on these cosmetics can be found below.
NEW WEAPONS: P90 AND VECTOR
Operation: Warlord brings two new SMGs to the game: the P90 for Insurgents (5 supply points) and the Vector for Security (6 supply points). Both weapons support Optic, Barrel, and other upgrades, and offer unique iron sights. These specialist weapons are exclusive to the Advisor Class, and offer new and lethal ways to approach combat.
NEW UPGRADE: POINT SHOOTING GRIP
The new Point Shooting Grip is here, adding precision, and changing how close quarters combat is fought out. This new attachment improves hip-firing at close range while including a laser-sight. The Point Shooting Grip is available to both factions on co-op modes only.
NEW UNLOCKABLE COSMETICS: SPORTY AND BIG SPENDER
Operation: Warlord is all about Insurgents going into battle wearing their flashiest gear. They are confident, and they want the enemy to know it. Meanwhile, Security is made up of private contractors each sporting personalised equipment and looking to not be too conspicuous. They’re here to do their jobs.
The Sporty and Big Spender sets are unlocked for the player after their first successful extraction in the new game mode, Ambush.
Sporty – Gaudy and brash, this fighter chooses style over substance.
- Sporty (Hairstyle)
- Half Wrap Mask (Facewear slot)
- Gaudy Sunglasses (Eyewear slot)
- Sport Shirt Top (Torso slot)
Big Spender – Privately-contracted, this soldier equips personalized tactical gear.
- Elastic Band Goggles (Facewear slot)
- Overdesigned Tac Gloves (Hands slot)
- Combat Hoodie with Hood Down (Torso slot)
NEW COSMETICS: INSURGENT HAIRSTYLES
Two new hairstyles have been added to the Insurgents faction:
NEW DLC: THE PRAETORIAN SET BUNDLE
New DLC cosmetics are now available for purchase, they are included in the Year 2 pass for those of you who have that either standalone or via the Gold Edition. These cosmetic items can be combined with the others in-game.
Buying these helps us to continue work on Insurgency: Sandstorm post-launch, and we greatly appreciate the support! Here is a breakdown of each cosmetic.
“Gray Man” Gear Set for Insurgents
- Gray Man Mask (Facewear slot)
- Gray Man Top (Torso slot)
- Gray Man Top Camo
- Gray Man Bottom (Legs slot)
- Gray Man Bottom Camo
- Gray Man Gloves (Hands slot)
“Chrome” Weapon Skin Set for Insurgents
- Desert Eagle
“PMC” Gear Set for Security
- PMC Headset (Headgear slot)
- PMC Headset Backwards
- PMC Headset Britain
- PMC Headset Canada
- PMC Headset Germany
- PMC Headset Turkey
- PMC Headset USA
- PMC Glasses (Eyewear slot)
- PMC Top (Torso slot)
- PMC Bottom (Legs slot)
- PMC Gloves (Hands slot)
- PMC Boots (Feet slot)
- PMC (Left Arm Tattoo slot)
“Two-Tone” Weapon Skin Set for Security
- Enabled Replay functionalities on all console platforms.
- Crossing (map) has been temporarily removed from matchmaking on all console platforms due to crashes.
- Outskirts (map) is added back into matchmaking on all console platforms.
- Reduced the number of crashes caused by memory issues on all platforms by optimizing assets.
- Fixed an issue where the transition between prone and crouch was not available. Players can now cycle through all stances as intended.
- Fixed an issue where the “Survival” game mode was being translated into certain languages.
- Fixed an issue where navigation through the Tutorial Menu would not work after joining and leaving a party.
- Fixed an issue where navigation through the Radial Menu would not work if the player’s camera was pointed directly at another player.
- Fixed an issue where the “Reset Enemies” function did not work properly in the Range.
- Patched a hole in the Warlord Legs DLC item.
- Fixed an issue where characters and weapon models could not be rotated using the right stick in the Customization and Loadout Menus when users set their language to Korean or Simplified Chinese.
- Fixed an issue where the camera zoom keybinds in Spectator mode were not displayed according to the selected controller layout.
- Fixed a lighting issue on Hideout which caused shadows to move spookily.
- Fixed an issue where allied AI was not planting explosives at caches in Checkpoint Security.
- Fixed an issue where the AI would congo line to Objective A on Farmhouse.
- Fixed an issue where AI would get stuck near Objective A on Checkpoint on Farmhouse.
- Fixed a visual issue that was appearing on water on Hideout.
- Fixed an exploit location around the tent area on Gap.
- Fixed a crash when joining a disbanded party.
- Fixed an issue where a party invite during a match could cause invitees to return to the Main Menu after accepting the party invite.
- Fixed an issue where frame rates would drop when swapping or scavenging weapons.
- Fixed an issue where certain weapons from Survival crates could not be properly reloaded.
- Fixed an issue where the Ammo display HUD element would show a Drum Magazine instead of a Smoke Grenade when performing an ammo check while using the AK-74 equipped with the smoke launcher active.
- Fixed an issue where the 2x and 1x optics would automatically toggle when sprinting in hardcore checkpoint.
- Fixed an issue where the “Enter Replay ID” button in the Stats Menu could not always be selected.
- Fixed an issue where the text would overflow inside a drop down menu in the Stats section that affected the Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese languages.
- Fixed an issue where part of the UI did not display the correct team colour.
- Fixed an issue where dead players would gain objective points after an objective capture in Survival mode.
- Fixed an animation issue that could occur when picking up thrown mines by disabling the ability to throw mines. Mines can now only be planted.
- Fixed an issue where there was a chance that Checkpoint could unintentionally end in a Draw.
- Fixed an issue where the Heavy Breathing audio would not stop when entering a vehicle.
- Fixed a localisation issue in the Network Widget where the text was only partially translated.
- Fixed an issue where an accessory was not highlighted when exiting its selection screen in the Loadout Menu using a gamepad.
- Fixed an issue where certain head and facial hair combinations would be misaligned:
- Rob and Imperial.
- Soran and Imperial.
- Soran and Garibaldi.
- Fixed an issue where the opacity of the Objective Status Indicator would not appear consistent every time.
- Fixed an issue where the Universal Digital weapon skin would not apply on the extended magazine on the MK 17 Mod 0.
- Fixed an exploit that allowed players to shoot within restricted areas.
- Fixed an issue where the C4 would remain suspended in the air even after the glass panels are shattered.
- Fixed text overrun in the Credits Screen in the Turkish language.
- Fixed an issue where Replays of maps played in the Night scenario would be replayed with the Day scenario lighting.
- Fixed an issue where a random item would be displayed and highlighted when nothing was selected in the Inventory Menu.
- Fixed an issue where water bodies would block bullets and not damage the player’s body parts that were submerged.
- Fixed an issue where the fire support global and specific cooldown bars were not appearing on the HUD and radial menu.
- Fixed an issue where the cosmetics on the character would not update when hovering over the appearance presets until a class was selected.
- Fixed an issue where the Desert Hex weapon skin did not apply onto the compensator, flash hider, flashlight and laser attachments on the M45.
- Fixed an issue where the Resupply Cooldown UI element does not always appear after the player had walked away from the resupply crate.
- Fixed an infinite reload animation issue when spectating a player that was using a shotgun or MR 73.
- Fixed an issue where classes that were completely occupied did not appear grey to indicate that all slots have been taken.
- Fixed an issue where the order of the explosive slots in-game did not match the Loadout Menu.
- Fixed an issue where the autocannon strafe fire support coordinates and orientation were not taken at the time of the callout.
- Fixed an issue where the version number text could block players from clicking on elements covered by it.
- Fixed the idle animation for the Desert Eagle.
- Fixed an issue where players were able to prone in the water.
- Fixed an issue where a comma would appear before the spectators list when viewing the scoreboard in Replays.
- Fixed an issue where the fingers would appear broken during the ready animation when the player has the AKM or AK-74 equipped with any grip and drum magazine.
- Fixed an issue where players could shoot a shotgun without using any ammunition.
- Fixed an issue where the locked Achievements Icons were displaying the unlocked icon and vice versa in the Stats Menu.
- Fixed an issue where the “Movement” and “Changing Loadout” lessons windows did not close after completion.
- Fixed a display issue with the MR 73 in the Loadout Menu that occurred after removing the primary weapon.
- Fixed an issue where the Supply Points indicator appeared at the bottom center of the Loadout Screen.
- Fixed a visual issue that would cause the screen to flicker when swapping between the Loadouts and Inventory screens in the Customisation Menu.
- Fixed an issue where the game type would default to the first option (Versus) when swapping between the factions in the Customise Menu.
- Fixed a crash on the PS4 that would occur after two hours of launching the app.
- Fixed a crash that would occur after joining an ongoing Co-op Checkpoint scenario.
- Fixed a crash that would occur while playing through Basic Training.
- Fixed an issue where the incorrect inventory icon would appear after unlocking new weapons or cosmetics.
- Fixed a visual issue with glass on Gap.
- Fixed an issue where DLC items would still appear on the Character on the Main Menu after removing them.
- Fixed an issue where the pre-order DLCs were not unlocking properly.
- Fixed an issue where Party functionalities could not be accessed when the party was at capacity.
- Fixed an issue where blocked players were still able to communicate with others.
- Fixed a party invite issue where some party members would return to the Main Menu instead of continuing in the same match as the party leader.
- Fixed a crash on game launch that could occur when switching between Microsoft accounts.
- Fixed an issue where players could get stuck in the Loadout Menu if they attempted to sign out from their account while loading a scenario in Local Play.
- Fixed an issue where the audio from the explosion of suicide bombers was distorted.
SURVIVAL MODE IMPROVEMENT
- Increased enemy AI difficulty by decreasing reaction time and increasing accuracy.
- Flashlight brightness levels have been adjusted for consistency for all primary and secondary weapons.
- Direct hits from molotov cocktails will no longer cause instant death.
- The Fragger class is now broken down into five classes: Assaulter, Advisor, Breacher, Gunner, and Marksman.
- Night Vision Goggles can now be worn and taken off using one hand. This allows players to keep their weapon on screen and have the ability to fire while toggling.
- New 1P and 3P animations added for the toggling of NVGs.
- The interact and reload actions are now mapped to the same “X” button when using a gamepad in the Modern controller layout.
- Players will no longer sit in spectate mode while a server populates and will now be able to play while waiting for the server to populate.
- Implemented new voiceover triggers for the following events:
- Explosive Drone detonates.
- Bomber Drones finish their run.
- Insurgents station does not hear the entire request.
- Security station does not hear the entire request.
- Support helicopter fires and misses target.
- Support helicopter searches for targets.
- Support helicopter confirms kills.
- Voiceover lines played in-game are now synced so all players hear the same line.
- Static plays when a character is killed while speaking through the radio.
- Different reloading voiceover lines play depending on whether the equipped weapon is magazine fed or not.
- AI will now always respond back to ‘intimidate’ voice lines from any player within the vicinity and continue to respond when provoked.
- Enemy AI that are blinded by flashbangs will now play a voiceover line.
- Fixed an issue where characters would play the Wounded or Suppressed voice lines upon death.
USER EXPERIENCE IMPROVEMENTS
- Improved readability of teammate indicator icons:
- Increased the thickness and opacity of the friendly teammate indicator icon.
- The icon now flashes when friendly teammates are nearby.
- Teammate icons now appear around the edges of the screen similar to objective icons.
- The default colour of party members is now green and more visible by default, this can be adjusted in the Settings Menu if desired.
- Updated the Appearance Selection Screen with a gradient and vertically centered the UI elements to be consistent with other screens.
- Added audio and visual feedback when collecting ammo from supply crates, performing a full resupply, or scavenging for ammo from weapons on the ground.
- Added the scavenge animation when resupplying ammo from a supply crate.
- Improved melee attack responsiveness by increasing animation speed and decreasing delay between attacks.
- Added icons for each section in the Appearance Screen.
- The selected scenario in Local Play will persist after changing maps or lighting scenario.
- The last focused position will now be kept when returning to the Main Menu.
- Increased the contrast of UI elements in the Appearance Menu to improve readability.
- The “Reset to Default” button in the Settings Menu will no longer move the focus to the first item in the list instead it will remain at the same position.
- Added audio feedback when hovering, clicking, and navigating through menus.
- Improved the overall layout of the Appearance Screen.
- Network service icons are now smaller and more subtle on the Main Menu.
- Smoother new select and hover sounds used as audio feedback across all interface elements.
- The invite friends pop-up will appear automatically after creating a party.
- The weapon held by the character on the Main Menu now features its respective upgrades.
- The weapon held by the character on the Main Menu is now the primary weapon equipped in the Loadout Menu.
- The tactical map will now display faction-specific icons to indicate spawn locations.
- The order of the maps are now displayed in alphabetical order in the Local Play Menu.
- Added visual feedback when hovering over the center of the in-game Radial Menu.
- Improved navigation between elements in the in-game Radial Menu.
ENEMY AI IMPROVEMENTS
- The snap shooting fixes have made gameplay against enemy AI less challenging, to balance this we have increased the reaction speed and accuracy of enemy AI.
- Enemies are more coordinated and can use smoke as cover to advance through the level in order to capture objectives more effectively.
- Improved enemy navigation towards objective areas.
- Enemies now take a longer time to react and fire upon players who are hidden in the shadows.
- Reduced occurrences of hip-firing from long ranges.
- Enemies will react to live C4 by retreating.
- Enemies will not immediately retreat off a lost objective when engaged in combat.
- Gunner enemies will search for more effective cover locations to set up.
- Scavenged magazines dropped by enemies are now always full.
- General improvements to the pathfinding behaviour.
LOADOUT SYSTEM REVAMP
We have revamped the look and usability of the loadout system. Below are some of the main changes that have been made:
- Weapon upgrades and attachments appear in slots surrounding the weapon preview.
- The weapon model now occupies more space on screen and can be seen in greater detail.
- Improved audio feedback in the Loadout screens.
- Added a back button in the Appearance and Loadout screens to reduce selection travel time when customising characters.
- Weapons now point to the left by default.
- 1.5x optics now appear between the 1x and 2x optics in the Optics list.
- The in-game Menu, Class Selection and Customisation, and Loadout Menu layouts have been adjusted to better fit ultrawide monitors.
- Attachments will now be previewed on weapons when hovering over their name in the list.
- Added an arrow to preview changes on the weight bar to improve visual feedback.
- The equipped weapon skin will now be saved until the player decides to remove it.
LEVEL DESIGN IMPROVEMENTS
- Fixed a wall that was incorrectly blocking bullets.
- Fixed an exploit on Citadel Push on Objective A giving the Security team an unfair advantage.
- Fixed an issue where two blocks on the ground would block players from advancing as intended.
- Fixed an issue where players could get stuck on an overhang while walking up the stairs.
- Fixed an issue where players were able to climb rocks to reach an exploitable area.
- Fixed an issue where certain textures were displaying incorrectly.
- Fixed an issue where it was possible for players to crawl underneath a portion of the level.
- Fixed an exploit on Farmhouse Push on Objective A where a player could stop the objective from being captured.
- Fixed an issue where a cabinet would disappear and reappear as the player moves around it.
- Fixed an issue where players could access an area outside the playable boundaries.
- Fixed an issue where players were blocked by unbreakable glass.
- Fixed an issue where players were able to access an exploitable area on a rooftop.
- Fixed an exploit location where players were unintentionally able to hide in certain areas.
- Fixed an issue where a wall did not connect all the way to a column revealing an empty area.
- Fixed a visual issue with the lockers (z-fighting).
- Fixed an issue where a piece of sheet metal was clipping through a sandbag.
- Fixed an issue where an oil derrick was unintentionally blocking bullets.
- Fixed an issue where enemy AI would get stuck after successfully capturing Objective E.
- Fixed an issue where the AI would occasionally get stuck upon spawn.
- Fixed an issue where an invisible collision obstructed player movement.
- Fixed an exploitable area that allowed players to spawn camp the Security team and block the capture of Objective C on Push Insurgents.
- Fixed multiple locations where enemy AI would get stuck on the map.
- Fixed multiple exploit locations where players were able to hide inside a rock.
- Fixed and blocked the path to an exploitable area to a rooftop.
We currently have 1,900+ issues that the team has categorised as bugs. Some are big, some are small, and unlike Goldilocks none of them are just right. What this means is that we can’t possibly include the entire list in these notes, so, below is a snapshot of the issues that have been brought to our attention more recently as well as some actively being worked on for the next update.
- There is an issue where the “There For You” and “Play to Win” trophies / achievements cannot be unlocked.
- There is an issue where gore is not showing up for some players.
- There is an issue where ragdoll death is played instead of full death animations.
- Replays are displayed in lower than expected frame rates.
- The screen may flicker at certain locations in the Firing Range.
- The game may crash if the player is on the Local Play loading screen and they accept a party invite.
- There is an issue where the Select button is not grayed out when there are no party members.
- There is an issue where coloured circles may appear at the bottom of the screen on Farmhouse.
- There are texture loading issues that happen when ADSing after loading a level on Xbox One.
- There is a memory-related crash occurring on Bab and Precinct while in co-op.
- There is an AI issue where some bots do not attack the player in Outskirts.
OPERATION: WARLORD CONSOLE HOTFIX #1
The following are the notes for the hotfix that is also available today on PlayStation and Xbox platforms.
- Fixed an issue where the weapon firing sound was not playing.
- Fixed an issue where the highlighted selection would disappear when scrolling through the Aesthetics section in the Loadout Menu.
- Fixed an issue where text was missing for the Ammo Carrier, Armor, and Accessory slots in the Loadout Menu after changing languages.
- Fixed an issue where the ambient sounds were missing during gameplay.
- Fixed an issue where the 1P and 3P sounds were missing on the Vector and P90.
- Fixed an issue where the character and AI voice lines were being truncated.
- Fixed an issue where the values in the Settings Menu would reset to default after relaunching the game.
- Fixed an issue where UI elements would overlap each other.
- Fixed an issue where restrictions on social features and communication were not applied correctly to an account when in game.
- Fixed an issue where controller inputs would stop working when the controller was disconnected while changing accounts using Account Picker.
- Fixed an issue where players could get stuck in a pop-up after turning off and on the controller in the Main Menu.
- Fixed an issue where the Title icon and name were missing in the Xbox Game Hub.
A LOOK AHEAD TO 2022
A priority for us on the communications team – which includes folks working in support, community, with content creators, and beyond – is to really focus on openness. We aren’t able to share every detail all the time, for a lot of different reasons, but our intention is to share what we can, when we can.
To bring that philosophy forward into action, two elements stand out as initiatives to start on right in the new year.
Roadmaps seem so simple: a nice graphical image with a bit of text on them. Oddly though, they become really complicated really fast. Roadmaps require the involvement of just about everyone working on the game, from design and art teams to our programmers, project managers, marketing, and more. So, the idea is to start working on a roadmap when we get back in the new year, and we’ll share it when it is ready.
PC & CONSOLE HARMONY
Our aim is (and always has been) to achieve parity between PC and console versions of Insurgency: Sandstorm. This is related to content, but also with our communications around the game, like these release notes for example.
Well, if you read through all this: thank you for sticking around! We really appreciate the support and the patience all of you have been giving us as we continue to work on Insurgency: Sandstorm.